Monday, May 17, 2010

The 3 Saddest Songs I Know

I like sad songs. I do. They're catchy, sentimental, and give you an excuse to feel kinda mopey. I would like to list the three saddest, most heart retching songs I know. So here we go.


"Little Motel" by Modest Mouse



The song sound like a big apology or a breakdown after a fight. The music video, although the band doesn't even appear, is one of the most powerful ones I've seen, and it adds to the sorrows. And that guitar riff. . . so melancholy.


"Brick" by Ben Folds



I heard this song in eighth grade. I had no idea what it was about. Then, I paid attention to the lyrics a bit more. The song is about an abortion that Folds and a high school girlfriend had. I don't know what else I can say to illustrate the sadness.


"Hard to Be" by David Bazan

davidbazan.combyDavid Bazan

David Bazan once wrote under the name Pedro the Lion. In Pedro, his songs were about struggling through faith and how life related to his faith. David Bazan's latest album is not about struggling through faith, it's about walking away from it. And as a Christian, it's hard for me because he sings about the secret fears that sometimes lie within my own faith.

1 comment: